Innovative software makes energy monitoring a breeze
Secure a better back-up plan
Dorset County Council chooses EVault to ensure remote site recovery Dorset County in the South West of the UK is renowned for its stunning coastline and beautiful countryside, captured in the works of writer Thomas Hardy. Local government in Dorset is divided into six district or borough councils, two unitary authorities – responsible for local government in the towns of Poole and Bournemouth – and the Dorset County Council (CC).
The Dorset CC provides education, social care and health services, highways management, trading standards, and local services such as libraries for all of Dorset. These require a significant level of administration, and Dorset CC also provides IT support to many of the satellite sites that are at the frontline of service delivery.
Ready for Faster Recovery
“Data volumes were increasing of course, but our two main problems were the time it was taking to back up to tape and the fact that many of our remote sites had their own tape backup systems but were often recording over the same tape every day. This made recovery of information older than 24 hours impossible,” says Gary Phipps, ICT analyst at Dorset County Council.
At the time Dorset was relying on tape storage, and backup windows were becoming so large that they impinged on normal business activity. Remote sites relied on IT support and admin from Dorset County Council’s IT team based in Dorchester to some extent, but many had their own tape systems. Unfortunately, without onsite IT support these tapes were not managed and changed regularly.
“We wanted to move to a centrally managed disk-to-disk backup solution, both to improve our data management capabilities and processes, and also for long-term cost reasons. Disk backup is faster and more cost-effective than tape storage for what we required,” explains Phipps.
Discovering the Value of EVault
Dorset’s team considered several options and as part of the process invited EVault partner 2e2, a leading value-added reseller specialising in storage management, in to meet them.
“The EVault technology was the deciding factor, and the online capability offered a very cost-effective way of tackling the issuing of backing up data from our remote sites,” says Phipps. “Added to this, 2e2 has local offices and a strong track record in data management solutions, and after considering many options we felt the EVault system was the best solution for us.”
Dorset, supported by 2e2 and EVault, installed a vault (server) for storage of the data and the EVault InfoStage® online backup software at the Dorchester central offices.
Phipps continues: “Originally we planned on putting 30 to 35 of our servers onto the EVault InfoStage system to backup to the vault, but it proved really successful. Now we have 67 servers on the system. Everything including mail servers, Oracle servers, Notes and Excel files are being backed up using EVault InfoStage.”
Rapid Recovery and Better Backups
With this increase in servers being backed up to disk using Evault InfoStage, a second vault has been installed at one of the County Council’s sites in the North of the county. Already between seven and seven-and-a-half terabytes are stored on the larger vault using Evault InfoStage.
EVault InfoStage is the only true online backup software that allows you to design your own evaulting infrastructure using your existing hardware, facilities, and bandwidth. Designed for the best performance, with the highest security, while meeting your deployment requirements, EVault InfoStage augments your disaster recovery plans and expedites your return to operations (RTO).
Key benefits of EVault include:
- Fully Integrated Data Deduplication: Eliminates duplicates on your storage vault. Increases ROI and helps you manage data growth.
- Ease-of-management: Automates and standardises across Windows, NetWare, Linux, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX, IBM iSeries, and VMware platforms through centralised control
- Scalability: Effectively manages data growth with the fastest and most efficient backup technology
- Reliability and Accessibility: Provides 24x7 uptime of mission critical applications and immediate access to data
- Security: Ensures the highest level of security for your sensitive data with NIST-certified AES encryption in transit and in storage.
- Compliance: Abides by security, retention, and data accessibility requirements
- Compatibility: EVault is a Microsoft Gold certified technology partner with accredited competency in ISV/Software solutions, Networking Infrastructure Solutions, and Advanced Infrastructure Solutions.
- Support for Virtual Environments: The EVault VMware Plug-In protects VMware environments, providing single-pass restore of critical applications, and file-level restores when teamed with ESX Server Agent
Phipps concludes: “We are really pleased with the EVault solution, it has worked extremely well for us. Dorset County Council remote sites can be backed up quickly and their data is protected so we can now recover older data very quickly. The overall cost-effectiveness of moving to a disk-based system and the increased level of automation offered by Evault InfoStage means that backup and recovery have been transformed into pretty straightforward activities, leaving us free to focus on delivering better services in other areas.”
For more information